1. Bathe daily and try to change your shirt and underwear at least every other day.
2. Clean up your office once a week (even if you just remove coffee mugs and food wrappers).
3. Limit your work hours…you need to sleep.
4. If you have a deadline and you want to stay focused, turn off your e-mail alert.
5. If your home office is a mess, meet with clients somewhere else. Clients may say they don’t mind your mess, but they do, and they may try to figure out how to fire you.
6. If possible, don’t let your kids use your computer. If you get a virus, you can’t work. If they get a virus, they can’t play computer games. Do the math.
7. Make sure your mute or hold button works. Sometimes they don’t, which means you may have some explaining to do.
8. Don’t answer your business line if your kids are screaming or your dogs are barking. Caller ID and a hold or mute button can only do so much.
9. Set ground rules with your friends and family and let them know that even though you work from home, you’re not available to wait for the cable guy or plumber.
10. Don’t use a chair from your dining room or kitchen as your desk chair. Instead, invest in an ergonomically correct chair.
11. Teach your kids to leave your office supplies alone. In fact, buy them their own set.
12. If you’re (literally) working naked, please wear underwear while sitting at your desk. ‘Nuff said.
What rules do you follow for working from home?