Guest post by Amy Wettig
Let’s talk about what your home office is all about according to Feng Shui.
Your office represents your career goals and your potential for success. A well-organized office can lead to increased productivity, while office clutter can muddy your goals or cause obstacles that may block your success.
Office clutter represents confusion about money matters. It can also signify obstacles that may be causing difficulties with clients, coworkers, and colleagues.
Consider these Feng Shui tips for your home office:
1. Put your desk in the command position. Position your desk so that you can see the door easily when seated. You do not want your back to the door. If you cannot position your desk so that you can see the entrance to your office while seated, hang a mirror on the wall so that it reflects the doorway.
2. Clean out your file cabinets regularly. If you let old business papers fill your file cabinets, you may prevent new business from coming your way. Remove paperwork that’s no longer current. A good rule of thumb is to leave about 1/3 of your file cabinets empty to indicate that you are ready to receive new business.
3. Use wooden furniture to encourage expansion. In the Chinese elemental system, wood is linked with growth. If you use wooden furniture, your business or finances should increase.
4. Fix or replace damaged office equipment. Broken furniture symbolizes broken deals or promises, damaged relationships with customers or suppliers, and other problems. These are the exact kinds of things you do not want. Repair these things promptly to keep your business running smoothly.
5. Use a black phone to encourage prosperous communication with colleagues and customers. Black is associated with wealth in China and it is a water color which emphasizes qualities such as flexibility and cooperation. Using a black phone can help stimulate business and prosperity, especially if your work involves a lot of phone contact.
6. Use white in your decorating scheme to promote stability & structure.
7. Paint your office door red or green. Red is the Chinese color of luck. Green is the color of money and can increase prosperity. In some countries, it’s believed that you can attract money to you by painting your door green.
8. Consider options other than paint. If you can’t paint the door, tie a red ribbon around your office doorknob to help attract good luck to you and your business.
9. Rearrange your office furniture periodically. This will encourage new business and stimulate new opportunities in your work life. Once a year may be often enough unless you find yourself getting into a rut. By changing your interior, you’ll change things in the outer world too.
10. Add live plants to your home office. Plants symbolize growth and life. In some countries, their green foliage represents the color of money. Place one or more healthy plants in your office to encourage the growth and prosperity of your business.
Amy Wettig is a Feng Shui expert who likes to combine the art of Feng Shui with coaching to help her clients move forward with their lives. She helps people clear the air in their homes and in their heads so they can lead the life they were meant to lead.